Botta / Cucchi, La Cappella del Monte Tamaro, Museo Cantonale d’Arte, Lugano
(The Monte Tamaro Chapel)
35 x 50 in. (90 x 128 cm)
Swiss graphic designer Bruno Monguzzi (1941-) is a master of typography and composition.
He cites the Russian Constructivists, El Lissitsky in particular, as among his greatest influences. Like the early Russian modernists, he communicates ideas simply yet powerfully using basic geometric forms, bold colors, and engaging typography.
Monguzzi designed the visual communications for the Museo Cantonale d’Arte in Lugano, Switzerland from 1987 to 2004. His posters for the museum’s exhibitions are masterpieces of graphic art.
This poster advertises the Museo Cantonale’s exhibition about a chapel built on the side of a mountain in Lugano in the early 1990s. Designed by Swiss architect Mario Botta (1943 - ), the distinctive chapel features intersecting volumes and arches. Paintings by Enzo Cucchi (1949- ) decorate the chapel’s interiors.
The poster echoes the chapel’s geometric structure: Monguzzi has stretched and curved the letters of Botta’s name over the architectural plan of the building, allowing the architect’s name to represent his chapel’s prominent arches.
La Cappella del Monte Tamaro, Lugano, Switzerland
At the bottom of the poster is the beautiful typographic logo Monguzzi designed for the museum.
This poster is in the collection of Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum.